Saturday, July 21, 2007

Live Search for Mobile

Microsoft has updated Live Search Mobile, a search and mapping application for Windows Mobile- and Java-equipped phones. The new version offers movie showtimes, better GPS support and the ability to cache previously viewed maps for faster performance.

It's a lot like Google Maps Mobile, though if forced to choose, I'd have to give a slight edge to Microsoft on this one. Though I prefer Google Maps on my PC -- it's the snappiest online mapping service by far -- I've always liked the way Microsoft/MSN/Live maps look. It's the closest thing I've seen to "real" paper maps. Now, I can get the maps I like in a service that's just as fast as Google's alternative.

Anyway, both are handy little applications to have on your phone.

Separately, Microsoft also updated its Live Search Web service for mobile phones. Among other things, the new version lists search results across multiple categories, much like Google's standard PC Web search. It's pretty handy -- I'm not sure why Google doesn't do the same thing its mobile searches.

Still, Google's mobile search gave me much better results in two quick tests.

On Google, a phone search for "7-11" listed nearby stores -- Microsoft gave me what looked like completely random results.

A Google search on "Harry Potter," meanwhile, gave me local showtimes for the movie, a couple of recent news stories, J.K. Rowling's official site, the official Harry Potter site, the Wikipedia entry and more. Microsoft gave me the Wikipedia entry, some photos (a nice touch, actually). It had a space for news stories and local results (showtimes, etc.) but they were empty -- despite knowing my home address. So Google was far more useful in both situations.

It seems Microsoft has a little more work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment