Sunday, July 1, 2007

The inevitable iPhone post

Actually, this post is about the ultimate reporter's tool, which I'm not quite convinced is the iPhone.

I've been thinking about this topic since last year, when I got the Hewlett-Packard iPaq 6915 smart phone. I do all kinds of journalism-related tasks with it, including getting directions (Via the built-in GPS), sending and receiving e-mail, surfing the Web (painfully) and recording interviews when I don't have access to my OneNote-equipped laptop. In a pinch, I could even write and file a short story with it. I've actually gotten pretty proficient on the tiny keyboard. (I'm writing this post with it from a park.)

Still, it's far from perfect. The camera isn't good enough for newspaper-ready photos (or Web site-ready, for that matter), and the mobile version of OneNote isn't nearly as useful as the full version. I've tried taking notes with it, and it wasn't pretty.

From what I've seen, the iPhone is even more flawed as a reporter's tool. But it got me thinking again about how close this ultimate device might be to reality and what it might mean for my industry. What will the newsroom of the future look like? And will everyone be a potential journalist?

No comments:

Post a Comment