Thursday, July 5, 2001

I've always been a big believer in the Internet and online services, but after what I've been through this month with Microsoft Money, WingspanBank.com and CheckFree, I don't think I could seriously recommend online banking to anyone.

I've been using that combination of services since mid-1990s with no problems, even after my original bill-payment service, Visa ePay, got out of the business. Then last month, I get a letter from CheckFree saying there was a problem "locating" my account. Somehow, my software was trying to pay my bills through a checking account I closed more than a year ago. To make matters worse, about a month's worth of bills had gone unpaid, with no notification from CheckFree. After spending at least four hours on the phone with people from CheckFree and Microsoft, I managed to resolve the problem and secured promises from CheckFree that they'd send explainations to my creditors explaining the problem and requesting a reversal of any late fees.

Well, two weeks later, I've discovered that my service has been "frozen" by CheckFree. I called my bank: plenty of money in the account.

Will I ever resolve the issue? Will I have to yell at some poor front-line worker and cancel my account altogether? Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment