Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What I want in Windows

Contrary to popular belief, Vista is actually pretty good, assuming you have 2 gigs of memory, a not-so-ancient graphics and updated drivers.

But in response to this call from the top Microsoft program managers, I will say this: it needs to startup, shutdown, hibernate, sleep and resume much, much faster. As it stands now, it’s more convenient to check e-mail on my wife’s iPod Touch than it is on my own PC. Seriously.

P.S. And don’t make me use UAC to move stuff around in the Start Menu.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:08 PM

    What's UAC?

    The thing I like most is the fact I can use MS backup with my DVD drive. But I waaaay prefer the XP search, I can never find anything in Vista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think something might be wrong with your index settings -- Vista's search is much better and faster than XP's built-in search. Unless you're already using the Windows Desktop Search add-in, you should see a world of difference (for the better).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and UAC= User Account control. It's the things that warns you when you're about to install something. I don't mind the feature for the most part, but I find it to be overkill for changing the Start Menu and some control panel settings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:55 PM

    LOL, yeah, when I've initiated changes locally I've been surprised to get the warning. Hello!

    I'll look into the index settings, thanks for the suggestion. Something's wrong, it rarely finds anything, very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete