Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Microsoft bought me a new mouse!

UPP Main Mouse

I finally got my voucher yesterday from the Microsoft-California Class Action Settlement, one of the little-remembered upshots of the software giant's landmark federal antitrust case five years ago (or 10, if you count when it all started). I filled out my claim almost two years ago and had completely forgotten about it.

California alleged Microsoft used its monopoly power to squash potential rivals, and that lack of competition meant consumers -- especially in California, apparently -- wound up paying higher prices they they would have in a more freewheeling market.

Personally, I overpaid exactly $98, just enough to buy the Logitech MX Revolution -- the slickest, sleekest mouse in the world. I really like it, even though it's "revolutionary" new scroll wheel makes middle-clicks a little tricky.

My only complaints: I wish the "doc-flip" button had the option of acting as an "alt-tab" key combo instead of forcing users to run Logitech's add-on software. And I wish I could map the "instant search" button to mimic a key-mouseclick combo (so I could use it with Answers.com's 1-Click popups).

Does this make me a geek?

No comments:

Post a Comment