Monday, August 5, 2002

Andrea got a job!

Andrea got an offer from the San Jose Mercury News on Friday, after being the only candidate out of the last six who could pass a Macintosh production skills test. It's not the ideal position -- it's a non-creative, on-call, no-guaranteed-hours situation -- but it is a foot in the door of a respected daily, and more importantly, income. She plans to continue looking for a job in Southern California, but she's understandably eager to start working again.

My interview with Investor's Business Daily went pretty well, too. I regret saying one or two things, such as revealing that I didn't appreciate Orange County politics -- before knowing out the interviewer's political affiliation. But Murray seems to think I have a good shot. It turns out that getting laid off is indeed a black mark of sorts (a good manager doesn't lay off the best workers), but IBD reached some former editors I hadn't put on my list of references and got glowing reviews. I hope that mitigates the perception created when Carole and (the appropriately named) Dick laid me off. I should know by Tuesday.

And Chad thinks his interview went well, too. So maybe all four of us (including Chad's wife, Susan) will get our Disneyland wish of living in Southern Cal.

No comments:

Post a Comment